Custom Search

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Yellow House


The modern City of Victoria was founded in 1843 although indigenous peoples (the Songhees Nation) were living here long before. In comparison with most of the world's cities, at 165 it is not very old. However, its residents treasure what little history they have by preserving many of the older houses under a "Heritage" designation which, while it gives the owner a tax break, also limits the kinds of alterations that can be made. This is one heritage house that I pass nearly every day and its sunshiney brightness always gives me a lift, even on a gray and gloomy day like today.

2 comments:

FĂ©nix - Bostonscapes said...

I can see why! It's very pretty and so lovingly kept.

Kim said...

It gave me a lift, too! As did the plum blossoms, and I can imagine the fragrance, as when we lived in Berkeley I would anticipate, as you do, the popcorn profusion that would break out every February there.

My first chance to welcome you to the CDPB family. We are Pacific Northwest neighbors, and I visit your fair city once or twice a year if I can. I look forward to seeing more of it through your lens!
-Kim
Seattle Daily Photo